The role of the Department of Health in the Victorian cemeteries sector is to ensure the administration of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2003 (the Act). As independent entities, trusts are the decision makers in relation to the provision of their services, expenditure of funds and employment of staff, provided these decisions are lawful.
(From the Department of Health website) ‘Where a cemetery requires advice or assistance relating to the application or interpretation of the Act, then the Cemetery Trust should be directed to the department for assistance.
Class A trusts have a leadership role to assist Class B trusts with; operational and governance matters relating to cemeteries; record keeping systems suited to the requirements of cemetery trusts; standard form documentation suitable for cemetery trust purposes and tendering and contracting processes and requirements.
However it is important to note that assistance should only be provided where the Class A trust feels comfortable and capable of providing the assistance requested.
Where a Class A trust does not feel they can provide the assistance which is being sought they should either refer the Class B trust to another Class A trust or to the department.
Class B trusts who receive advice/assistance from Class A trusts are not obligated to act on the advice provided to them, particularly if they are unsure about the advice/assistance provided or decide that it is not suitable. The department can be contacted at any time for assistance by any trust.’
Visit the Department of Health website by clicking here: Department of Health, Cemeteries and Crematoria or on any of the links below:
- information on public cemeteries, crematoria and cemetery trusts in Victoria for various industry members
- information for the public on cemeteries
- Victoria’s Cemeteries and Crematoria Regulation 2015
- links to legislation governing the operations of Victoria’s cemetery and crematoria system including the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2003 and Cemeteries and Crematoria Regulations 2005
- insurance for cemeteries
- the appointment of cemetery trust members
- relevant forms for cemetery trusts and other stakeholders
- fee information for cemetery trusts